30 ml cooking oil
60 g butter
12 round pieces of lamb neck
15 ml garlic and ginger paste
2 large onions, thinly sliced
15 ml freshly ground black pepper
4 whole cloves
10 ml paprika
15 ml steak and chops seasoning
4 large tomatoes, liquidised
30 ml tomato paste
15 ml brown sugar
salt to taste
1 large butternut, unpeeled, cut into chunks
2 punnets patty pans, topped and tailed
4 large carrots, cut into chunks
1 yellow pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks
60 ml chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil and butter in a large flat pot.
- Brown lamb in batches on both sides, and then remove from pot and keep aside.
- Place garlic and ginger paste and onions in same pot, and sauté till soft, adding 100 ml water.
- Return lamb to pot, add pepper, spices, seasoning, tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar and salt.
- Add 250 ml water and simmer for 20–30 minutes till meat is tender, adding extra water as required.
- Place all vegetables and parsley on top of meat and simmer for 10–15 minutes for flavours to develop.
- Shake pot to mix vegetables with lamb pieces.
- Serve with white rice and a salad of choice.
Serves 4 to 6